|At The Alexander Dawson School, we challenge our students every day with a careful blend of core academics, world languages, fine arts and athletics. Together, these disciplines prepare children for a future that demands they know the essentials . . . and so much more.|
Dawson students are taught, mentored and coached by a highly qualified, dedicated faculty and staff which shares a vision that all students will achieve their individual potential in all aspects of the School’s curriculum and offerings.
Individually, faculty and staff are accomplished in their respective areas of expertise and are committed to innovative teaching methods. As a group, they work to ensure graduated success of their students, from Early Childhood (pre-school and pre-k), through Lower School (grades k-4) and Middle School (grades 5-8). The result of this cooperative approach is a student body that is academically competitive with the best independent schools across the country.
The Dawson student’s learning experiences are grounded in literacy, mathematics, science, history (culture and society), health and fitness, the fine arts and world languages. These experiences are presented through
an integrated, relevant curriculum framed by a set of school-wide learning goals which identify what students should know and understand and what skills and processes their learning will encompass.
Benefits of the Dawson curriculum include:
- Overall 8:1 student-to-faculty ratio
- Test scores that are competitive nationally with independent schools
- Regional, state and national awards and rankings garnered by students in math, science and engineering and fine arts
- Thematic integration of units of study in the Lower School
- Integration of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) in the Middle School curriculum
- Innovative, state-of-the-art technology with 350 student computers
- Balanced Literacy Instruction from pre-k through fourth grade
- A focus on phonemic awareness, reading, word study and writing in preschool through fourth grade
- WrAP (Writing Assessment Program) in third through eighth grade that provides specific feedback to target writing instruction
- Authors-in-Residence Program that brings published authors into the classrooms for extended instruction
- Over 21,000 volumes in the Dawson Library and a Leveled Book Room in the Lower School
- BEAR Publishing Program that introduces publishing concepts and techniques
- Foreign language offerings of Spanish and Mandarin in kindergarten through fourth grade, and four languages in Middle School (Spanish, French, Latin, Mandarin)
|Performing & Visual Arts|
The Dawson curriculum provides students with opportunities to choose from a variety of fine arts electives and extra-curricular activities including:
- Band and choir
- Photography and graphic arts
- 3-D media, ceramics, woodworking and sculpture
- Painting and drawing
- Drama and musical productions
- Private instrumental lessons after school
|Dawson Bears' Athletics|
Dawson athletics help develop mind, body and character in students. Through health and fitness classes and competitive athletics, students learn the importance of team-building and healthy lifestyles. Dawson athletics include the following:
- Boys and girls basketball, volleyball, flag football, track and field, cross-country and soccer through the Red Rock Athletic Conference
- Several conference championships won by Dawson teams
- Boys and girls tennis through the USTA
- Girls cheerleading
- Athletic Conference events include golf and swimming
- Health and fitness classes for all students
- Afterschool classes such as Tae Kwon Do, yoga and hip-hop dance
- Outdoor challenge course with low ropes and various elements to foster teamwork, leadership and communication
|Campus Security & Safety|
The Dawson campus is secured by a 24/7 guarded, gated entrance staffed with professional security guards. This security gives parents confidence that their children are provided with the safest learning environment.
Additional features of campus security include:
- Visitor entry monitoring system
- Background checks on staff and volunteers
- Parent emergency notification system
- Full-time school nurse
- Comprehensive safety training for staff including emergency procedures and drills
- Faculty-directed carpool process
Dawson believes high-quality education should be available to all students who meet our admission assessments, thus, the School offers over $1 million each year in income-based financial assistance.
Other highlights include:
- Middle School merit-based scholarship program
- 20 percent of students receive financial assistance
- Need-blind admissions process
Dawson recognizes that healthy bodies contribute to the growth of healthy minds, thus, the School employs healthy dining practices in all school lunches, which are provided as part of tuition and prepared by a professional chef and dining staff.
- Organic and whole grain, low-fat and MSG-free foods
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Raised bed gardens of herbs and produce tended by classrooms provide education on healthy choices
- Social dining atmosphere encourages student interaction
- Family members welcome during lunch
Dawson Video: Be Amazing!
|Grades: Three-year-old pre-school through eighth grade|
Student/Teacher Ratio: varies by grade level
Library: Over 21,000 volumes
Hours of Instruction
Early Childhood Education Center:
9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Lower School: 8:15 a.m. - 3:20 p.m.
Middle School: 8:15 a.m. - 3:20 p.m.
Before- and After-Care Program
Available for all Dawson students (daily fees apply)
Before-Care begins at 7 a.m.
After-Care ends at 6 p.m.
Enrichment classes offered after school at an additional fee